Guidelines for finding the best baby monitor
How do you find the best baby monitor with such an enormous choice of baby monitors on the market. I can imagine every parent gets confused.
Sure you can get a cheap model that will do the job, but a better model with a video monitor and less interference will cost you at least between $100 and $200.
Choose the features Your monitor should have
First of all, make a list of the features that are important to you.
- Do you want to use the monitor in multiple rooms in the house?
- Do you want to carry the receiver with you (wireless monitor)?
- What is the range of the monitor?
- How many channels does the monitor have? More than one channel gives a better signal.
- How strong is the volume? Try the monitor in the store before you buy it.
- Do you want a battery operated monitor or one you can plug in the wall(some can do both)?
- Do you want to see (video monitor) your baby with a baby monitor camera or just hear (audio monitor) when he cries?
- Does it have a low battery warning? When batteries are low you may not hear your baby crying.
The benefits of a two way monitor
A two way monitor or duplex monitor allows parents to check if their baby is safe and at the same time talk back to their child.
Sometimes the familiar voice of the parent is enough to calm a baby. Summer infant' s Ultra Sight video monitor (on the right) has a two-way communication system that lets parents to talk their baby through the baby monitor.
Some parents use a smartphone for a baby monitor. If the smartphone detects noise it makes a phone call tot the number of your choice. Benefits of a smartphone are that they have an unlimited radius and radio noise insensibility. The downside is that you will need two smartphones, one for next to the baby and one to have with you.
You can download a special baby monitoring app for your smartphone to use it as a baby monitor. Check out the Baby Monitor 3G app that makes it possible to use two smart phones, tablets or laptops as baby monitor.
A few baby monitor safety issues
Baby monitors should be kept out of reach of your baby. Even the best baby monitor can get damaged if it comes in contact with liquids and overheating (exposing to direct sunlight).
- Baby monitors are ideal for busy parents, but many doctors believe they give a false sense of security. There is still no evidence that even the best baby monitor can prevent SIDS.
- The hidden dangers of most analog baby monitor systems are that they can be "tapped" into.
- Giving neighbours or burglars the opportunity to follow conversations in your home. Burglars can gather critical information about you and your habits. They may learn what time you leave your house to go to work or when you turn of your alarm system.
- Higher quality digital systems are more expensive, but also less prone to interference, and they do last longer.
Frequency of baby monitors can vary from 40 MHZ to 2.4 GHZ. The higher the frequency the clearer the video and sound. The best baby monitor has a frequency of at least 900 MHZ.
Where to buy the best baby monitor?
Searching for the best baby room monitor? Baby room monitors come in many shapes and designs and prices range roughly from $50 to $200.
If you spend a bit more, you will get a monitor with multiple channels, which will give little or no interference.
A very good baby monitor for just under$100 is the Infant Optics DXR-5 with a frequency of 2.4 GHz for unique sound and video clarity. This monitor using FHSS technology, this means it sends encrypted video and audio data protecting you from others secretly viewing your video or audio feed. Other cool features of this monitor are white noise eliminator, night vision, power saver mode and wall mounting screws so the camera can tilt down from an elevated position.
more Baby Monitor Tips
- If your house has many electrical devices like computer, microwave or cordless phone look for a monitor that allows you to change channels. This may help you solve interference problems with your baby monitor.
- Look for a wireless parent unit that you can clip on your belt. This way you can easily check on your baby where ever you go in the house.
- Opt for models with rechargeable batteries and A/C adapters. This will save you money on batteries.
- If you buy your baby monitor on the internet check the return policy on the merchants website carefully, so you can return it if you are not satisfied with your purchase. Always keep the receipt and monitor's packaging for as long as you are able to return it.
You may also like
- 8 Baby Bouncer Seat Safety Issues You Probably Don't Know About
- How to select the safest baby carrier that'scomfortable for mom and baby?
- How to find the safest teething products?
- What is the best thermometer for babies?