How to cure baby acne naturally?
Like most moms you are probably eager to know how to cure baby acne?
Did you wake up one morning to find your baby's skin is covered with ugly acne pimples?
Then you may find it reassuring to know that baby acne is not harmful, and its appearance will probably bother you more than your baby.
Newborn baby acne(acne neonatorum) is very common and roughly affects about 20% of all babies.
Just like acne in puberty it appears as small white heads surrounded by red or inflamed skin on the cheeks, forehead and chin.
Curious to see what that looks like? Click here for baby acne pictures.
What causes baby acne?
When mother gives birth her hormones are allowed to pass through the placenta to her baby.
Theses hormones are important for the development of vital organs in baby's body. They also are responsible for increased levels of oil in your baby's skin and can cause infant acne.
Fortunately it is harmless and lasts from a few weeks to a few months. Many moms are desperately looking for ways how to cure baby acne. But they will soon discover that it does clear up on it's own.
Does breastfeeding make baby acne worse?
Not only in the last stage of pregnancy but also during breastfeeding mothers hormones are passed to the baby.
Even though breastfeeding may stimulate infant acne, the benefits of breastfeeding are far more important than the red pimples on your child's face.
How to cure baby acne step by step
Here are a 6 tips to care for baby's acne skin. They will also help to prevent new breakouts.
- Wash baby's skin once or twice a day with a mild soap for sensitive skin. When your baby has severe acne a moisturizing cleanser will prevent the acne from getting infected.
- If you are breastfeeding watch your diet and avoid fatty foods. Add fresh fruit to your diet and drink plenty of water.
- After feeding carefully clean your baby's face. Saliva and milk spit up can aggravate baby acne.
- Avoid using creams and baby oil on baby's sensitive skin.
- Wash all baby's clothes and bedding with a mild detergent. Harsh detergents can be the cause that the hair follicles get infected, leading to inflamed baby acne.
- Keep baby's face out of the direct sunlight. Not only sunlight but also overheating will make your baby's acne worse.
How to cure baby acne naturally with home remedies?
Baby with acne pimples all over its face. Photo by Marie Claire Camp.
There are a lot of acne solutions for baby skin on the market containing vinegar. This makes sense as vinegar is know to absorb excessive oil secretion and kill bacteria.
- You can make your own vinegar solution for baby acne by mixing one part of vinegar with ten parts of water. Apply with a cotton swab or cotton ball to the affected area. Stay away from baby's eyes.
- Another way to treat baby acne is by mixing 1 tsp of honey with 1tsp of lemon juice. Leave this for half an hour on the affected area and then clean with warm water.
- Some moms have amazing results with a paste made of baking soda and water. Put it on the acne pimples, leave it a bit and then wash it off. If baby's skin gets very dry you can use some Eucerin moisturizer after the treatment.
- Other mothers say that applying a bit of breast milk to the acne for about 15 minutes works wonders.
Please remember, not to treat infant acne with medication for adult acne. This medication is far to harsh for your baby's sensitive skin and will not stop infant acne. It 's more likely to cause irritation and aggravate the rash.
Consult your pediatrician before you using treatments with benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol or sulfur.
Severe infant acne
Sometimes infant acne becomes more severe and we see yellow pus with baby acne.
Keep your baby's nails short so he can not scratch the acne and cause an infection.
Insevere cases of infant acne or when the acne is infected your doctor may prescribe treatment with topical or oral antibiotics.