Baby teething toys -the safest natural materials for baby's gums
Chewing on baby teething toys encourages the eruption of new baby teeth. But, because it can be a painful experience when babies get their first teeth, you will appreciate that they will also ease the soreness of baby's gums. Not only is this teething phase stressful for a baby but can also be quite nerve-racking for the parents.
Teething babies will put anything in their mouth. We often see babies chewing away on items like car keys, pens or hair brushes. Surely, this not only unhygienic but there is always the danger of pieces breaking of and getting stuck in a baby’s throat. Buying the right teething aid is very important but can be tricky. You need to be very careful because your dealing with something your child will chew on for the next few months.
So it is understandable, you will want baby's teething toys to be safe and non toxic. Searching for teething toys you will be confronted with many options.
If you're concerned about you baby's wellbeing, check out the safest baby teething toys and what they should be made of.
Most teething pacifiers have a liquid filling that can be cooled in the fridge. Choose a quality teething pacifiers and check regular if they are not damaged. Replace pacifiers that are cracked, torn, sticky or have changed color. With intense use it's better to buy a new one every two months.
Teething pacifiers like the popular Razbaby teether below have a textured surface for babies to gum on.
- This teether is made of medical-grade silicone which is regarded to be safe for babies . Silicone is often used for baby items such as pacifiers, bottle nipples, toys for teething babies, freezer trays. It is considered safe by the FDA because it does not react with other substances or release dangerous chemicals when you heat it.
- Can be frozen for immediate pain relief.
- Can be easily attached with a pacifier clip
Check price here
Baby fruit feeder pacifier
These special fruit holders are designed to permit only the smallest pieces of fruit or veggies to pass through to avoid that a baby will choke on them. This approach is a safe way of introducing solids to your baby during the teething stage.
Unlike older types of mesh feeders, whith the Baby Fruit Feeder Pacifier your baby is not making a big mess while sucking and chewing. You will also love that it is pretty easy to clean with some warm soapy water.
Even if your baby does usually not take a pacifier, most babies love the Fresh Fruit Nibbler as soon as they the taste the fresh fruit
Check price here
Natural baby teething toys
Natural materials is what you need to look for. Organic fabrics, untreated wooden teething rings or wooden toys painted with food grade paints are an excellent and safe choice for baby teething toys.
Before they invented plastic teethers, there where the wood ones. Wood is strong, naturally anti-microbial and a product free of chemicals and toxic substances like BPA and phthalates. Most teething rings are well sanded and have no additional finnish. But with unfinnished materials there is always a small risk of splintering when a baby chews on it. This is why some companies apply organic bee wax or a food-grade oil for extra safety.
The recommended wood to use for wooden teething rings is the hard maple wood. Also, beech, cherry wood, walnut, madrone, alder and myrtle woods can also be used.
Wash by wiping with warm soapy water. Do NOT soak wood products in water or put in dishwasher as they may dry unevenly, causing the wood to be rough and even crack.
Organic teething toys
What is "organic cotton"?
Organic cotton is grown without the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers.
Egyptian cotton is hand picked which guarantees the highest levels of purity. It is also the world's finest cotton because of the lenght and strength of it's fiber, color absorbing qualities and a softness.
Baby teething blankets.
A teething necklace can be worn from the moment baby starts with the first signs of teething. These necklaces are extremely durable but too much contact with water can make the thread become brittle. Especially the baltic amber teething necklaces made of hard amber may bruise a baby's delicate gums.
This is why we love the Mother Approved™ Organic Baby Teething Necklace
- It is a teething necklace for mom that meets all of the doctor recommended safety criteria
- It is made of soft yet durable BPA-free silicone rubber
- The 100% bendable and soft toy is easy for baby to hold,
- It is dishwasher friendly and can be frozen.
baby Teething toys - what is safe and what to avoid
What to look out for?
- Make sure that your baby is not chewing on toys that contain harmful chemicals.Stay away from BPA, PVC and phthalates.
- Examine the surface if there are any hard or sharp edges. You don’t want to cause baby’s already painful gums to bruise or bleed or get infected.
- Avoid teething rings or toys that contain fluid. After intense use, baby’s chewing can cause rubber rings to leak.
- When tying the teething ring to your baby, make sure the cord is no more than 6 to 8 inches to avoid strangulation.
- Do not put teething rings in the dish washer. Simply wash them in warm soapy water if needed.
Mind, that teething rings are better ans safer than teething bisquits or cookies. Chewing on sweet foods can cause early tooth decay. And babies can also choke on pieces of biscuit when they break off.
Good to know!
Most of the fluid containing teething rings are filled with distilled or steralized water. There is always a potential risk it contains dangerous bacteria compounds, pseudomonas aeruginosa and pseudomonas putida. For this reason The First Years Inc. had to recall half a million baby teethers in the past.
For many ages people have been looking for ways to ease baby’s pain. Three thousand year old Sumerian sandstone tablets tell us that the Egyptians were using teething rings made of coral.